PEI Oyster and Mussel Funding

A new PEI Oyster & Mussel Product Development Program has been created by the Food Island Partnership, with support from Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), and Innovation PEI. This program will provide assistance to PEI companies who are developing new PEI value-added oyster or mussel products to meet consumer and market demands and generating new sales. The program is intended to support the development of new product concepts not tweaks to existing products. Projects that lead to the development of unique products and/or experiences will receive first priority. Projects focused on new packaging to meet underserved markets will be considered a secondary priority.

Approved projects will receive 75% funding support up to a maximum of a $25,000 non-repayable contribution . The company will contribute the remaining 25% of project costs. Stacking with other government funding is not permitted.

Eligible Costs/Activities include:

  • Contracting of third-party services for the development and evaluation of new products (e.g., product development activities, identifying equipment and packaging, feasibility studies, market research, packaging and branding design, etc.)
  • Purchase of market research reports directly related to the new product.
  • Product and material costs for product development and scale-up trials.

For more information or any questions, please contact tyson@foodislandpei.ca or 902-628-7998.

Application Form - PEI Oyster & Mussel Product Development Program